Monday, November 30, 2009

In search of Pulque

Hello once again true believers.
I have spent the last four to six months in search of Pulque.

As I am easily distracted by Tortas, Santa Muerte and Loafers with knives I have come up fruitless. But like most yogurt the best fruit is on the bottom. I'm not sure where I'm going with that. Maybe it is an analogy for stirring it up. For live culture is equal to or greater than live cultures?

See. Distracted again! SNAFU! NATIC STATIC!

I shall not... What is the word? Distraction?

OK. So here's the deal. Pulque: "Older than Tequila, Stronger than Beer", yet better known as the "disappearing" drink of Mexico. A milk-colored, somewhat viscous alcoholic beverage made from the fermented sap of the maguey plant, and is a traditional native beverage of Mexico.

The drink’s history extends far back into the Mesoamerican period, when it was considered sacred, and its use was limited to certain classes of people. After the Spanish Conquest of Mexico, the drink became secular and its consumption rose. The consumption of Pulque reached its peak in the late 1800’s. In the 20th century, the drink fell into decline, mostly because of the competition of newly introduced beer by European immigrants.

So why do I want this? Well the fact that Pulque was served as a ritual intoxicant for priests to increase their enthusiasm, for sacrificial victims to ease their passing, and as a medicinal drink. Pulque was also served as a liquor reserved to celebrate the feats of the brave and the wise, and was even considered to be an acceptable substitute for blood in some propitiatory ceremonies. I think that's reason enough.

I have found two distributors of Pulque, but I am not in retail or wholesale.

Here are the links if you or someone is:

http://www.redgizmo.com/backup/PulqueLaLucha/pulque.html

http://www.pulquehacienda1881.com.mx/index.html

So after work today I am going to the corner "Sunshine Liquor" store nest to my place. I'm going to see if I can get some ordered!

p.s. Yes I have tried Northgate (AKA Gonzales). Most people just say "Go to Mexico City for that..."

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment